Friday, December 28, 2012

2012

2012 is ending soon. I thought I should try and list some remarkable events/people/films/songs/albums/videos to honour such a smooth year for me.

First of all, I'd like to start with all the gun shootings in America. It's not a good thing and should not be glorified, but it's also a lesson to everyone in the world that people are losing faith in humanity. There was a The Dark Knight Rises shooting, killing innocent fans of a criminal-sweeper. Then, there's a CT shooting, killing innocent souls. Just thought we should take a little moment to think about these unfortunate events.

Now, the rest of the post will be really cheerful (and note this is a really long post. REALLY LONG POST.)


1. Jack Harries & Finn Harries



Yeah, so, yeah, I really like them. Jack started posting videos in 2011 but I only found out about them this year. They're definitely going to be famous alright, so I don't even know what to say about them, but they're just two YouTubers (twins) who make me laugh (a lot) with their videos. They're probably really rich, thus explains the great video quality; they're also very creative people, probably cause their father is a filmmaker. Finn has done some projects on his own; Jack, meanwhile, is a very entertaining comedian. I wish I was a creative person like them, so I could design cute little cartoons, but unfortunately I'm not. They're my and a lot of other girls' YouTube obsession. One of the best things of 2012. :)

2. Les Misérables and Life Of Pi




Les Mis: Well, I mean the film of course. Just watched it few hours ago, and I'm here posting about this musical film. The films this year are great, especially this and Life Of Pi. Guess I'm just tired of watching the normal Hollywood films that are explosions-filled. I think both Les Mis covers a lot of things but most of all I think the film is about having faith. Les Mis is probably the best thing after Sound Of Music. They have brought storytelling to a whole new level. The whole film's story was told in musical form and the music was recorded live along with their acting. (which is so mind-blowing!!!!!) Anne Hathaway's performance (both acting and singing) will probably earn her countless awards. Thanks to the author of this historical novel, Victor Hugo, this story finally gets told on the big screen. I'm definitely going to do some research on musical films after this.

Life Of Pi: Meanwhile Life Of Pi is really great, but I felt the storyline was slightly long-winded and the time spent on the ocean was a little bit longer than I want it to be. It covers a lot of things though-- faith, friendship, and most remarkably survivor. I really like the 3D graphics and the tiger and other fictional creatures. As an animal lover, I think these little creatures included in the film made me like it even more. They even have some meerkats in the film, I'm like aaaaaaahhhhhhhh too cute. It is not going to be loved because, yes, firstly, it is very long-winded, and secondly, there are no hot celebrities in the film. Stereotype audience. I loved the ending of the film so much. I thought it was gonna end like Inception, letting us fill the blank with our mind, but no, turns out, I weep.

3. channel ORANGE



If I were allowed to pick Album Of The Year, I'd pick this one. Red is as great as Taylor's songwriting skills, but I have to say this album is, in my opinion, better. As much as I love R&B and Soul music, (I'm kind of an all-genre person) I think R&Bs on the radios this year are really crappy. (besides Ne-Yo, he's pretty awesome) Usher used to have some smooth hits, but I'm not really a big fan of his new songs. This Frank Ocean record touches from good old 90s R&B-inspired tunes, to a reference song about Forrest Gump, (am a big fan of the movie too) to his confessions on having feelings towards male etc. "Lost" is my favorite on the first listen of this album, it is very typical R&B style, but "Forrest Gump" sounds playfully fun to me. But what makes this album so great is that it's not just about the music, it's about telling multiple stories, in a very complex way. There's a dialogue in "Not Just Money" that says, "It's not just money, it's happiness. It's the difference between happy, being happy and sad. It's the difference between having a home and living on the streets. That's what it is, it's not just money. It's so much more than that." And then the dialogue ends with "saving that seven dollars". Then continues the song "Super Rich Kids" which is the song right after its interlude "Not Just Money". People praise this album for the honesty in community-- and let's not compare our skin colour here-- any adults can agree to any of the songs on this album.

Song recommendation: "Thinking About You" because it is an ordinary love song. Everyone loves love songs.

4. Ed Sheeran



He's definitely one of the highlights of my 2012. I feel sad because I have never heard of him before "Moments". (the song he wrote for One Direction) Oh well, from now onwards I bet he's going to be really successful in a year or two. I downloaded his debut LP "+" and I just immediately loved it! It was like love at first heard. I think it's plainly because I like his musical style. To me, he's a combination of folk-hip hop-acoustic. His fast singing is also very impressive and remarkable. I think he doesn't remind me of any artists except for Eminem-- for telling stories about himself in his songs, for example in "You Need Me, I Don't Need You". (or maybe I just have poor recognition of good music artists like him) Then I started downloading his other EPs. He is one of a kind. His music is very own and original. I hope he stays the same even after overflowing success.

Song recommendation: "Give Me Love" because it is a great song. Bye.

5. Songs


John Mayer - Shadow Days

As douche-y as John Mayer is, this song is really good. He's a great musician, that is for sure. I really like this song even though I don't have it on my iPod. I think this song is written as him being the "womanizer" of the music industry, and how he regrets playing with all his past's feelings. Well, I personally think that he wrote this song for every single one of his ex, like Jennifer Aniston (yes she's one of his exes) but Taylor. I think the both of them kinda "ugh" each other. That was really cheeky. Well, who cares anyway. This song is great.

Ellie Goulding - My Blood

*please excuse me while I fangirl over this song* I'll have to tell you this song is one of my favorite songs on Ellie Goulding's record "Halcyon". Too bad she hasn't made this a single yet. If she made this as one of her singles, it'd probably get a lot of airplays and will be on the top of the charts, just like "Lights" and "Anything Could Happen". It's a breakup song probably. Well, I said "probably" because this song has a lot of blood and flesh and bleached bones. If it was a metal song I'd probably not like it because, personally I'm not a metal fan. The pre-chorus and the chorus are so great it hurts. It's so intense and emotional and haunting.


Coldplay - Charlie Brown

I do not even know why I added this song out of all the great songs on the record. Overall, I love "Mylo Xyloto" because of the interludes. I just love having surprises on a record. This song is share-worthy though. Acoustic guitar can be heard in this song alright, so it kinda stands out in the album. (and let's not mention the song title that reminds you of that little man) The album is filled with unique sounds produced by instruments/software that I can't even figure out. FYI, the album follows a love story, and this song is the fourth song on it, but I still have no idea which part of a relationship is this song about, so I googled it.... "Be like Charlie Brown, who is always getting picked on and nothing really works out for him. Always get back up again." so it's probably about a boy having a hard time trying to get to the girl.

Jason Mraz - The Freedom Song

So, this is the kind of song that I listen to when I'm bored or not in a good mood. I normally listen to happy songs to cheer me up instead of emotional songs because that'd make me feel even worse. Or maybe I create a playlist of relaxing tunes and listen to them while falling asleep. This song is extremely bubbly. Jason Mraz sounds so free when he's singing, and his voice sounds like the going-to-the-beach-and-lying-on-the-soft-sand-and-close-your-eyes-and-enjoy type, so this song is perfect in every way. I like the trumpet part and the backup vocals harmonizing. It's also a lesson. When you feel good, you sing.

Hunter Hayes - Wanted

I can't figure out any other artists, so I thought I should add a country song. This song is quite popular honestly, so you've probably heard it, but if you haven't already, try it. It's really refreshing if you're a pop person. You hear Justin Bieber & One Direction serenade girls everyday on the radio, you're probably sick of them already, so here's a sweeter, slower and more sincere love song. To me, love songs are supposed to sound like this, not the loud, annoying type. Or maybe I just prefer love songs the way it used to be. This song kinda reminds me of old love songs.

6. Videos


So, I do YouTube a lot. I'm now struggling to find good videos to post on here. So, I'm just gonna post this cover. My country has a pretty great filming crew, their username is "JinnyboyTV" if you don't mind watching their videos. They have really great videos, but the only problem is the language and the rotten English we speak in our daily lives. So, hey, this cover is great (I LOVE FRIENDS) and of course it doesn't beat the original but hey give these artists a chance. 

If you wanna watch videos on YouTube, whether they're funny, parodies, or videos to send a message, you can go to Finny's blog right HERE. Check out his "Tube Tuesday". Mind checking out his "Music Monday" too! He has great taste in music.

***

There are things I wanna add but damn that's a lot of things I found in 2012. Some other remarkable things are the Olympics, KONY 2012 and a lot others things that I missed out. And everyone around me doing the Gangnam dance and me staying as far away as possible from people who do the dance.

Gah.

Anyway, 2013 is coming soon. I hope it's going to be good but I'll have a lot of studies to do in 2013.

GOOD LUCK TO WHOEVER READING THIS. AND WELL DONE. *APPLAUSE* YOU FINISHED THE WHOLE THING. THANKS.


No comments:

Post a Comment